THE BERKER FELLOWSHIP
This year’s Berker Fellowship students were announced at the flag ceremony on Monday, May 21, 2012. The students who received their plaques and pins this year are
Cansu Sarıkaya (L10), Ayşenur Biçen (L10) and Ayça Ersoy (L9). The students met up with fellows from the previous years, which included RC alumni, at a dinner and award ceremony on Thursday, May 31, 2012.
Established by a gift from Feyyaz Berker (RC ’46), The Berker Fellowship honors students whose character lives up to the highest ideals of Robert College. Students chosen as Berker Fellows will be honored in the school community as models of the personal qualities for which Feyyaz Bey, himself, is known and which are valued as essential to a civilized society.
1. Criteria for selection will include, but not be limited to:
- personal integrity and maturity
- demonstrated high standards of personal behavior
- demonstrated unselfish contributions to the community
- strong sense of social responsibility
- positive spirit
- active involvement in school activities
2. One adult member of the school community will serve as advisor/mentor to the Fellowship.
3. A Selection Committee will be formed including representatives of the faculty, counseling staff, administration, school staff, and students already chosen as Fellows.
4. Fellows will be chosen from the Lise-10 and Lise-11 classes so that they will be known and respected within the school community as examples of the best of Robert College. This is not to be an award for a graduating senior.
5. Fellows will receive a plaque and pin, and will be recognized at a special ceremony at a school assembly.
6. A sum of money will be be drawn from the fund each year. Members of the Fellowship will work together to decide upon a use to which this money will be put for the good of the school community or the community at large.
7. The first Fellows will be chosen in the spring of 2008.
PREVIOUS BERKER FELLOWS
The members, chosen from the RC student body for the prestigious Berker Fellowship were announced in the flag ceremony held on Monday, 23th of May, 2011. The names of the six students who received their pins and plaques are as follows: Cemre Necefbaş (L-10), Özkan Okan (L-10), Kutay Onaylı (L-10), Engin Polat (L-9), İbrahim Cem Polat (L-9) and Mert Zorlular (L-9). The students met with Feyyaz Berker and the previous years' fellows on Thursday, May 26th, 2011 for a dinner and award ceremony.
Names of the eight students who received their pins and plaques on Friday, 28th of May, 2010 are as follows: Leyla Levi (L-10), Zeynep Kahveci (L-10), Türker Bulut (L-10), Ufuk Serkan Yıldırım (L-10), Ogün Yurdakul (L-10), Aslı Salihoğlu (L-9), Alican Söylemezoğlu (L-9), Berk Çoker (L-9).
Second group of the Berker Fellowship are as follows: Can Soylu (L-11), Yiğit Ergeçen (L-11), Poyzan Nur Şahiner (L-11), Cem Zorlular (L-10), Ege Yalçınbaş (L-10), Ömer Şerifoğlu (L-10), Volkan Sipahioğlu (L-10), and İlteriş Canberk (L-10).
The first members of the Berker Fellowship among the RC student body have been announced in the flag ceremony held on Monday, 26th of May, 2008. Names of the seven students who received their pins and plaques are as follows: Alp Özçelik (L-11), Can Akçevin (L-11), Lale Tekişalp (L-11), Mehveş Konuk (L-11), Ceyda Erten (L-11), Ersagün Elaçmaz (L-10), Ceren Ateş (L-10). Faculty members Jennifer Sertel and Rina Kapuya will be the coordinators of the group.
Lunch with Feyyaz Berker:
Members of the Berker Fellowship met with Feyyaz Berker at Bizimtepe on Wednesday, June 4th 2008 for lunch, to celebrate the establishment of the award.